Sir Frederick Gibberd
Sir Frederick Gibberd, CBE, RA undertook 94 major projects during his architectural career. These included Liverpool Catholic Cathedral, the first three Heathrow terminals, The Central Mosque in Regents Park, the landscaping of the Kielder Reservoir and the master plan for Harlow new town. He was made a CBE in 1954 and received a knighthood in 1967. Elected a Royal Academician in 1969, part of his own collection of art works, including works by John Piper, Graham Sutherland and Henry Moore, was donated by him to the Harlow Council, and is now exhibited in the Civic Centre.
In 1946 he was appointed master-planner for Harlow New Town and his original plan for the town is regarded by many as his greatest achievement. Deciding to live in the town he had designed, he bought this property in Marsh lane in 1955 and set about creating the Garden you see today. In 1972, following the death of his first wife, he married again, this time to someone who had contacts with a number of sculptors. Lady Gibberd was an active member or the Harlow Art Trust and helped choose many of the sculptures which have earned Harlow the title of Sculpture Town. In the years that followed until his death in 1984 Sir Frederick and his wife bought or commissioned more that eighty sculptures, which were individually sited around the garden to enhance and complement the natural features. This legacy may still be appreciated by visitors today.